1kg strong bread flour, 60g fresh yeast, 27g sugar, 27g salt, 68g butter
(Makes 2 Loaves)
At The Corner House Restaurants we believe bread has to be fresh each morning, made by hand with love and care. It will always be the first job in our kitchen and our guests can taste and appreciate the difference. The smell of fresh bread in the restaurant at midday is amazing!
The beauty of this recipe is its very simple to make and the only bit which takes the time is the proving, if you follow these simple steps you will be able to impress your friends and family with your very own Corner House bread. Most importantly make sure you have fun with it, making bread is seen as a very therapeutic job so take your time and enjoy!
- Pre-heat the oven to 185 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (flour, salt and sugar).
- In a measuring jug pour 400ml warm water with the butter and yeast mixing it with your hands so it dissolves the yeast and butter.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the water mix, stir with your hand to combine and leave to prove for 2 hours in a warm spot.
- Once the dough has doubled in size divide the mix in two and knead into loaves.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cut a cross on the top of each loaf, spray some water on top and sprinkle with a little bread flour, this will give you the ultimate crust!